Based in Durban, KwaZulu Natal, R.S.A.
The Colony 2174 is a deck building and dice rolling game where you have to settle a new planet by building your four Colony structures using the rare resource Novinium.
The game is intended to be played by 2 to 4 players and a game normally takes between 45 and 60 minutes to complete.
The game is won by the first player who builds their 4 Colony structures: Reactor, Biodome, Portal, and Orbital Station.
You can lose the game by not building your Colony structures or ending up with no more structures of your own due to events that are triggered during the game.
The year is 2174. Novinium, the rarest of minerals, drives every economy in the Union of Federated Planets. A rich vein of it has just been discovered on the infamous Fury 1228 – a barren and inhospitable planet with the most unforgiving of environments.
Even under these conditions, hundreds of colonists are flooding to the place, so your work as a Colony Director for the United Corporations is cut out for you. Use your Novinium wisely, keep a steady supply flowing or you’ll soon find yourself unable to build or even re-supply.
Are you ready to build... The Colony?
The Colony 2174 is the first official board game from Gobbo Games and is currently available for sale on The Game Crafter. The game was born while Quinton Delpeche was trying to test out some game mechanics for an RTS. He basically printed out a whole bunch of structures on some cards, gave them some numbers, and started testing some game mechanics.
After tinkering around with these printed cards and adding some dice, he quickly realised that he had created a board game and so The Colony 2174 was born.
- Colony Structures - These cards represent your primary Colony structures that you have to build to win the game. The cards have two sides, a side that shows the built structures and a side that shows the unbuilt side.
- Structure Cards - The Structure Cards come in four different colors. This represents the various parts of the turn that the cards can be activated in. The cards have an Activation Target on the top right of the card, and these range from 2 to 15 but exclude 1, 9, and 16. To activate a structure and use the feature, you need to roll the same number on the dice during your Activation Roll as the Activation Target.
- Event Cards - Event Cards represent random events that occur on the planet, these events will come in to play when you are unable to roll an Activation Target on your turn during your Activation Roll.
- Influence Cards - Influence Cards represent the ability of the players to influence dice rolls of anyone (including their own dice rolls). An Influence Card can be played anytime a player makes a dice roll by any other player (including themselves).
- Novinium Tokens - Players will typically have Novinium Tokens in front of them and this is referred to as the Novinium Stockpile. The rest of the Novinium is placed in a pile in easy reach of all the players and this is referred to as the Resource Pile.
- Target Tokens - Target tokens come in denominations of 1 to 16 units and represent the Activation Target that you want to target this structure on. These tokens can only be used on structures that are marked with a “Tt” on the Activation Target portion of the card.
There are currently no trailers available for The Colony. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Received a 93.5 out of 100 for the Art Test on The Game Crafter." The Game Crafter, 8 February, 2016
- "Brilliant game! Not like anything I have played before. Easy to learn and the rules are very clear. Graphics are cool and crisp. It would be nice if I could win a game though."
- AmyZombieHunter, The Game Crafter
- "Very enjoyable game, A lot of strategy and skill involved to get to your goal... Had a blast playing it..."
- SashenR, The Game Crafter
- "Played the game twice, each time the game was different and enjoyable. Easy to learn and game times vary, so replay value is great. Love the graphics. The game dynamics are awesome and makes for a very strategic game, with some required luck thrown in for good measure. Make sure your dice rolling skills are excellent otherwise you will be left behind in the dust."
- MadTaz15, The Game Crafter
- "The Colony is really easy to pick up and play, but also has a subtle depth to it. It's a lot of fun to play and the artwork is great! Can't wait to get my hands on my own set."
- DrDeth, The Game Crafter
- "This is so much fun to play! No two games are the same, and you have to be on your toes when playing and pray that luck is in your favour. Works well as a 2 player and a 4 player game, and is a great game. Love the artwork!"
- sparx, The Game Crafter
The Game Crafter
Buy now on The Game Crafter thegamecrafter.com.
About Gobbo Games
Gobbo Games started off as an Independent Games Development company and released The Colony 2174 and Riders of Asgard. Shortly thereafter we started consulting on Virtual Reality and Simulators for some clients and started to realise that a lot of what we were doing could help corporate clients.
Using our combined experience in Enterprise Development, High Availability Game Services, and Gamification; we offer a unique service to all our clients that takes a different outlook on Software Architecture and Development than most of our competitors.
We currently operate from offices in Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa and believe in creating software solutions that are enterprise ready, stable, and scalable to our customer needs and high-quality cost-effective games.
Our primary goal is to provide our customers with a unique development experience and give them the software they want within budget and schedule.
Our secondary goal is to make high quality games that are price friendly and provide maximum entertainment value. As an Independent Game Development Studio we are able to achieve these goals by being focused on making games that ultimately we want to play ourselves.
More information on Gobbo Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Colony Credits